Franciscan Medical Group is currently seeking a per diem Clinic Pulmonary Function Tech for the Franciscan Pulmonary Associates in Tacoma. Collegial environment. Paid parking and no weekends or holidays required!
This job is responsible for performing pulmonary function, lung-capacity, diffusion capacity and blood/oxygen tests to gather data for use by a physician in the diagnosis and treatment of pulmonary disorders. Work is performed within scope of licensure and in accordance with physician orders. An incumbent includes: includes: 1) administering pulmonary function testing, x-rays and procedures on patients with suspected lung disorders; 2) administering medications pertinent to pulmonary function testing; and 3) calibrating, maintaining and troubleshooting pulmonary function testing equipment to assure proper operation.
Work requires knowledge of the standards, procedures and equipment/tools applicable to pulmonary function testing and applicable legal/regulatory requirements. An incumbent follows proper channels of communication in handling daily and routine problems and recognizing issues that need referral to management.
- Performs standardized diagnostic pulmonary function studies, as directed by physician orders and in accordance with all safety, risk management and protocol standards.
- Explains specified methods of breathing to patient and conducts pulmonary function tests such as helium dilution and pulmonary mechanics, arterial blood gas draw/analyses (with and without oxygen) and lung-capacity tests, such as vital capacity and maximum breathing capacity tests, using spirometer or other specialized equipment; measures expired air, using various analyzers.
- Sets equipment controls to regulate the flow of oxygen, gases, mists or aerosols; observes and records readings on metering devices of analysis equipment, and conveys findings of tests and analyses to physician for interpretation.
- Administers medications pertinent to testing.
- Monitors and assesses patients’ response to treatments and modifies according to protocol as necessary.
- Process patient samples as required with regard to requested tests and type of insurance.
- Performs, processes and files x-ray procedures on patients.
- Assists physician with other procedures as appropriate within scope of licensure/certification.
- Performs pulse oximetry at rest and with exercise.
- Performs ECG.
- May assist physicians with laryngoscopy.
- May assist physicians with thoracentesis.
- Maintains pulmonary function testing equipment in accordance with established procedures.
- Sterilizes and disinfects equipment after each use.
- Performs quality control testing for ABG analyzer performance.
- Calibrates all equipment per manufacturer’s specifications.
- Provides routine maintenance and care of equipment.
- Maintains adequate stock of supplies.
- Works with authorized parties to satisfy requests for documentation.
- Provides test results for physicians.
- Monitors patient’s condition for contraindications to testing.
- Mails out x-rays to original source when physician has completed dictation
- Cultural Sensitivity and Competence: Demonstrates proper use of communication tools/materials for effective communication and understands how the culture(s) of patient populations can affect communication, collaboration and the provision of care, treatment and services. Patient Population Served: Demonstrates knowledge and proper skills associated with the department’s defined specific populations served.
- Performs related duties as required.