Located conveniently in the heart of Phoenix, Arizona, St. Joseph's Hospital and Medical Center is a 571-bed, not-for-profit hospital that provides a wide range of health, social and support services. Founded in 1895 by the Sisters of Mercy, St. Joseph's was the first hospital in the Phoenix area. More than 125 years later, St. Joseph's remains dedicated to its mission of caring for the poor and underserved.
We are extremely proud to be a nationally recognized center for quality quaternary care, medical education and research. St. Joseph's includes the internationally renowned Barrow Neurological Institute, Norton Thoracic Institute, Cancer Center at St. Joseph's, Ivy Brain Tumor Center, and St. Joseph's Level I Trauma Center (which is verified by the American College of Surgeons). The hospital is also a respected center for high-risk obstetrics, neuro-rehabilitation, orthopedics, and other medical services. St. Joseph’s is considered a sought-after destination hospital for treating the most complex cases from throughout the world. Every day, approximately 20 percent of the hospital’s patients have traveled from outside of Arizona and the United States to seek treatment at St. Joseph’s.
U.S News & World Report routinely ranks St. Joseph's among the top hospitals in the United States for neurology and neurosurgery. In addition, St. Joseph's boasts the Creighton University School of Medicine at St. Joseph's, and a strategic alliance with Phoenix Children's Hospital.
St. Joseph's is consistently named an outstanding place to work and one of Arizona's healthiest employers. Come grow your career with one of Arizona's Most Admired Companies.
For the health of our community ... we are proud to be a tobacco-free campus.
The Ivy Brain Tumor Center is a non-conventional, non-profit program offering state-of-the-art clinical trials for patients with the most aggressive form of brain cancer. It is home to the largest collection of Phase 0 trials for brain tumors in the world. Our multidisciplinary team of brain tumor specialists and scientists are accelerating drug discovery and precision medicine in neuro-oncology to identify the most promising first-in-class therapies for brain tumor patients.
We are seeking a highly motivated and experienced scientist to direct the in vivo/in vitro modeling and preclinical trialing laboratory. In addition to generating new patient-derived xenograft models (PDX), the candidate will also plan and oversee trials with experimental drugs in preclinical models (immunocompromised and immunocompetent).
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
• Overseeing the generation and establishment of new PDX and murine glioma models.
• Build a strong relationship with IBTC core directors and senior leadership to ensure smooth workflow across all core laboratories
• Oversight and management of postdoctoral fellows, students and technicians focused on preclinical model creation, characterization, preclinical drug treatments and tumor growth monitoring.
• Plans, organizes, and monitors daily project protocols. Collects, prepares, and maintains required research documentation, including pathology reports for each tumor tissue, molecular markers identified by pathology, and any additional genomic aberrations identified.
• Trains and manages the staff in performing tumor induction surgeries, preclinical drug treatment studies (including drug delivery by p.o/ i.p/i.v/sub-cutaneous), isolation and culture of tumor cells.
• Develops, recommends, and implements changes to procedures for various preclinical trials protocols.
• Assists with the preparation and delivery of internal/external presentations, conference reports, and manuscript submissions.
• Assists with the design, development, and writing of extramural and internal grant proposals
• PhD in Neurosciences/Neuro-oncology field required.
• Must have the ability to conduct independent research studies, analyze and interpret data.
• At least 5-7 years of post-doctoral experience in working with in vivo/in vitro models and performing preclinical drug screens required.
Additional Requirements: two letters of recommendation
Not ready to apply, or can't find a relevant opportunity?
Join one of our Talent Communities to learn more about a career at CommonSpirit Health and experience #humankindness.