CommonSpirit Health was formed by the alignment of Catholic Health Initiatives (CHI) and Dignity Health. With more than 700 care sites across the U.S., from clinics and hospitals to home-based care and virtual care services, CommonSpirit is accessible to nearly one out of every four U.S. residents. Our world needs compassion like never before. Our communities need caring and our families need protection. With our combined resources, CommonSpirit is committed to building healthy communities, advocating for those who are poor and vulnerable, and innovating how and where healing can happen, both inside our hospitals and out in the community.
7a-7p on every Saturday and Sunday in Microbiology
The Registered Medical Laboratory Technician performs only those laboratory tests for which
they are authorized under the CLIA ’88 regulations. The MLT may work up to 3 months with limited
job duties prior to obtaining the MLT License. These tests are used in the diagnosis and
treatment of disease and include specimen processing, test performance and maintaining of
test results. These tests are performed under supervision of the Medical Technologist.
1. Exercises professional judgement in evaluation of specimen integrity, result accuracy and validity and take
corrective action when necessary
2. Direct observation of routine patient test performance, patient identification and preparation; specimen
collection as applicable, handling, processing, and testing.
3. Monitoring the recording and reporting of test results, calling critical results, calling STAT’s as applicable
and faxing results as requested.
4. Review of test results, worksheets, quality control records, proficiency testing results, and preventative
5. Direct observation of performance of instrument maintenance and function checks.
6. Assessment of test performance through testing previously analyzed specimens, internal blind testing, and
samples of external proficiency testing samples.
7. Evaluation of problem solving skills.
8. Performs quality control samples to ensure accuracy of test results and other pertinent quality control
procedures in accordance with established criteria.
9. Analyzes patient samples according to approved policy/procedures of testing.
10. Maintains equipment to ensure accurate, consistent results in the performance of tests.
11. Assists in the orientation of new staff and students as requested.
12. Demonstrates the knowledge and skills necessary to provide care appropriate to the ages of the patient
13. Follow standards of safety dictated by the laboratory, the hospital, and regulatory agencies.
14. Participates in continuing education programs and hospital learn assignments in the timeframe required
15. Contributes to the efficient operation of the laboratory.
16. Participates in the departmental competency program that includes specimen collection as applicable,
handling, processing, and testing.
17. Maintains confidentiality of patients, department, and hospital related information according to established
18. Complies with all hospital personnel policies and procedures; participates in all required departmental and
hospital educational inservices within the required timeframe, assumes responsibility for needing posted
19. Continually makes best use of time during their shift and assumes responsibility for communicating pertinent
information with co-workers, coordinating lunch breaks in a manner which meets the needs of the laboratory.
20. Perform other duties as requested.
Associate degree in medical technology.
MLT (ASCP) or equivalent.
Licensed as an MLT by the Tennessee State Board of Health within 3 months of employment
Not ready to apply, or can't find a relevant opportunity?
Join one of our Talent Communities to learn more about a career at CommonSpirit Health and experience #humankindness.