Baylor St. Luke’s Medical Center is an 881-bed quaternary care academic medical center that is a joint venture between Baylor College of Medicine and CHI St. Luke’s Health. Located in the Texas Medical Center, the hospital is the home of the Texas Heart® Institute, a cardiovascular research and education institution founded in 1962 by Denton A. Cooley, MD. The hospital was the first facility in Texas and the Southwest designated a Magnet® hospital for Nursing Excellence by the American Nurses Credentialing Center, receiving the award five consecutive times. Baylor St. Luke’s also has three community emergency centers offering adult and pediatric care for the Greater Houston area.
Ensures department is managed day to day to productivity standards Shifts are variable and may include some weekends, nights, and/or holidays as needed. Ensures the effective delivery of nursing care. Ensures compliance with established quality standards. Manages unit staff productively, and assists in budget development and maintenance; Assists in performance appraisals. Functions in a leadership role in the development of a professional practice. Manages room utilization and unit staff efficiency, including providing assistance to assure timeliness of turnovers and throughput of cases
1. Coordinates daily staffing schedule and assignments, manages to productivity standards
2. Consults in a variety of patient care situations requiring advanced competency and knowledge
3. Serves as a clinical resource for problem solving; Assists staff with patient related issues and emergency situations
4. Acts as liaison to other departments and multiple patient care services
5. Assists in cost management, including product evaluation, prevention of waste and damage, room utilization, control of overtime, and appropriate staffing mix
6. Participates in unit-based Quality program/projects
7. Investigates and follows up on incident reports and patient complaints 8.
9. Assumes the role of the manager in manager's absence
10. Participates with interviews, hiring, coaching, counseling, performance evaluations, and corrective action, including documentation
11. Participates in implementing clinical pathways and outcomes management within the established structure of the Perioperative department
12. Maintains and promotes consistent and effective communication with patients, families, staff, physicians, and other departments
13. Collaborates with interdisciplinary team members to effect change
14. Works with anesthesia to assure timeliness of patient throughput
15. Functions in the charge nurse role
Education and Licensure:
*Registered Nurse (RN)
*One (1) year of leadership experience in the discipline or comparable progressive leadership experience
*Master's degree and no experience
Minimum Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
* Clinical and technical expertise in specialties of responsibility
* Clinical and technical expertise in specialties of responsibility.
* Able to alternate on-call
* Able and willing to have a flexible schedule
The above statements reflect the general details considered necessary to describe the essential functions of the job as identified, and shall not be considered a detailed description of all work requirements that may be inherent in position.
Not ready to apply, or can't find a relevant opportunity?
Join one of our Talent Communities to learn more about a career at CommonSpirit Health and experience #humankindness.