Performs a wide range of technical procedures analyzing blood and various body fluids in order to expedite the physician’s diagnosis and treatment of his patient. Records and documents this data in the proper areas. The employee shall assist with quality audits in accordance with accrediting agencies. Technical duties will include routine patient testing, complex red cell antibody identification, and preparation of blood components for transfusion. Technical competency and critical thinking are required, as errors could result in serious consequences to patients. Work involves confidential patient diagnosis
and test results, requiring the employee to respect the patient’s right to confidentiality. The technologist shall have good communication skills and interact pleasantly and professionally with all co-workers, medical staff, patients, visitors and others. The employee shall actively support the policies of the Laboratory and organization.
- Direct observations of routine patient test performance, including, as applicable, patient identification and preparation; and specimen collection, handling, processing and testing
- Monitoring the recording and reporting of test results, including, as applicable, reporting critical results
- Review of intermediate test results or worksheets, quality control records, proficiency testing results, and preventive maintenance records
- Direct observation of performance of instrument maintenance and function checks
- Assessment of test performance through testing previously analyzed specimens, internal blind testing samples or external proficiency testing samples
- Evaluation of problem-solving skills
- Performs quality control procedures to ensure accuracy of test results.
- Analyzes patient samples according to approved standards of testing.
- Maintains equipment to ensure accurate, consistent results in the performance of tests.
- Provides teaching and education to clinical laboratory scientist students and other laboratory personnel.
- Demonstrates the knowledge and skills necessary to provide care appropriate to the age of the patients served. Collects and processes laboratory specimens.
- Follow standards of safety dictated by the laboratory, the hospital and regulatory agencies.
- Contributes to the efficient operation of the laboratory.
- Participates in continuing education programs for the upgrade of educational experience.