In 2020, united in a fierce commitment to deliver the highest quality care and
exceptional patient experience, Virginia Mason and CHI Franciscan Health
came together as natural partners to build a new health system centered
around the patient: Virginia Mason Franciscan Health. Our expansive
combined system builds upon the scale and expertise of our nearly 300 sites
of care, including 11 hospitals and nearly 5,000 physicians and providers.
Together, we are empowered to make an even greater impact on the health
and well-being of our communities.
CHI Franciscan and Virginia Mason are now united to build the future of
patient-centered care across the Pacific Northwest. That means a seamlessly
connected system offering quality care close to home. From basic health
needs to the most complex, highly specialized care, our patients can count on
us to meet their needs with convenient access to the region’s most prestigious
experts and innovative treatments and technologies.
As the flagship hospital of CHI Franciscan Health, St. Joseph Medical Center continues to be the regional leader in the use of advanced medical technologies and therapies.
The 361-bed regional medical center is a level II trauma center with a robust cardiac surgery program that has recently received Three Star Awards for our thoracic and cardiac programs. Our main OR suite includes 11 operating rooms (two are cardiac) and an additional 9 operating rooms at the adjacent Walters Day Surgery Center. We also have two operating rooms at an ambulatory surgery center in nearby Gig Harbor. Combined, we perform over 16,500 cases per year, including trauma, cardiothoracic, vascular, general, neurosurgery, orthopedics, urology, spine, ENT, gynecology. We provide 24/7 staffing in the main OR.
Our Surgical Services Leadership team includes a Director, 3 Perioperative Clinical Managers, 2 Perianesthesia Clinical managers, a Sterile Processing Manager and an RN Educator. Combined, these leaders have over 100 years of nursing and leadership experience and they truly enjoy mentoring and developing staff members.
What We Have To Offer:
• Work for a cardiac surgery team that is nationally recognized for outcome excellence, one of fewer than 20 hospitals nationwide with STS 3-star ratings in aortic valve surgery, mitral valve surgery, and CABG surgery.
• Join a high-volume program that will allow rapid knowledge gains including minimal access mitral surgery, aortic arch and hybrid procedures, and TAVR.
• Over 600 open heart/TAVR procedures performed annually.
• Join a stable team with three experienced cardiac surgeons, dedicated Cardiac Anesthesia, and a patient-centered team approach that puts the patient first and respects the contributions of all team members.
• Join a team that enjoys the support and stability of one of the largest healthcare organizations in the country, Common Spirit Health, which helps provide resources and economies of scale during these uncertain times.
• Faith-based culture with commitment to our Core Values of Reverence, Integrity, Compassion and Excellence where we value positive team players
• Shared governance model with a very engaged Unit Based Council
• Collaborative scheduling
• 8 and 10 hour shift options
• Financial support for CNOR certification
• Tuition assistance for advanced degrees
• Opportunities for career growth within the growing and highly successful CHI Franciscan Health system
• Competitive wages, incentives and a generous employee benefits program
• On-site fitness center available 24/7
Sign-On Bonus: Up to $15,000 (less applicable taxes) for those external hires that have 2 years of RN experience in the OR, as outlined by Franciscan Policy.
Charge Nurse serves as a leader and clinical resource to staff under the direction of nursing leadership. Collaborates with the primary RN or team leader to ensure the planning and delivery of quality patient care in partnership with physician, interdisciplinary team and patient/family. Acts as a role model, demonstrating technical/clinical competence consistent with the needs of staff and the patient population served. Assists staff with problem solving and decision making.
Oversees clinical operations to include: coordination of assignments, delegation of tasks, provision of clinical care, patient placement, unit and patient flow.
Aligns staffing with productivity-based Staffing Matrix to include requesting resources based on patient need and flexing staff based on census and workload fluctuations.
Prepares assignments considering patient acuity and staff skill mix/competency; ensures timely posting of Staffing Plan; assigns and/or ensures staff are provided with rest and meal breaks.
Monitors and oversees Sitter usage in assigned area.
Serves as the first point of contact in the department chain of command during the shift for staff’s clinical needs, investigation of complaints, service recovery and completion of incident reports; ensures management is apprised of concerns and incidents.
Coordinates care, collaborating and communicating effectively with the inter-disciplinary team.
Maintains and applies knowledge of quality and SafetyFirst-related initiatives and requirements.
Serves as mentor to develop and coach orientees and experienced staff; demonstrates skill in conflict management.
Contributes to the development and evaluation of staff competency; provides objective feedback to assist with staff performance throughout the review cycle.
Assists with monitoring of regulatory and auditing requirements.
Two years of experience in the clinical specialty within the last three years preferred.
Prefer previous charge nurse experience.
Current licensure as a Registered Nurse issued by the Washington State Board of Nursing.
Current Healthcare BLS Certification.
Specialty certification preferred.
Not ready to apply, or can't find a relevant opportunity?
Join one of our Talent Communities to learn more about a career at CommonSpirit Health and experience #humankindness.