Provides individualized, high-quality nursing care to patients of all ages. Uses a team approach to delegate and coordinate patient care at admission, transfer, and discharge. Independently delivers nursing care using the Nurse Practice Act, Mercy Medical Center policies, nursing standards, ethical principles, and professional judgment. Works rotating shifts, weekends, and holidays as scheduled.
- Assesses, plans, and implements nursing care while ensuring patient comfort.
- Practices safe patient handling techniques.
- Continues to evaluate assigned patients and provides ongoing treatment.
- Anticipates, identifies, and responds to educational and emotional needs of patients and families.
- Guides and directs healthcare personnel (i.e. Patient Care Technicians) in caring for patients.
- Maintains knowledge of equipment set-up, maintenance, and use (i.e., IV pumps, monitoring equipment, and drainage devices). Utilizes safeguards such as IV pump drug library and monitor alarms whenever available to maximize patient safety.
- Initiates emergency support measures (i.e., cardiopulmonary resuscitation, protecting patient from injury).
- Serves in a charge/leadership role based on skill and unit needs. When assigned charge, makes patient assignments; triages patients; and problem solves with staff, physicians, patients, families, and ancillary departments.
- Takes assigned call as defined in unit policy.
- Assists with patient care duties/tasks (i.e., emptying drainage devices, ambulating, and hygiene).
- Assists with clerical duties (i.e., maintenance of chart, patient record, and answering phones and call lights).
- Maintains patient care supplies, equipment, and environment.
- Provides orientation/education for staff, students, and other hospital and community organizations as requested.
The above statements reflect the general details considered necessary to describe the essential functions of the job as identified but should not be considered a detailed description of all work requirements that may be needed to perform the duties of this position. Must have ability to maintain skills and perform tasks required for the position as outlined in the list of department competencies.