CommonSpirit Health was formed by the alignment of Catholic Health Initiatives (CHI) and Dignity Health. With more than 700 care sites across the U.S. & from clinics and hospitals to home-based care and virtual care services CommonSpirit is accessible to nearly one out of every four U.S. residents. Our world needs compassion like never before. Our communities need caring and our families need protection. With our combined resources CommonSpirit is committed to building healthy communities advocating for those who are poor and vulnerable and innovating how and where healing can happen both inside our hospitals and out in the community.
Baylor St. Luke’s Medical Center is an 881-bed quaternary care academic medical center that is a joint venture between Baylor College of Medicine and CHI St. Luke’s Health. Located in the Texas Medical Center, the hospital is the home of the Texas Heart® Institute, a cardiovascular research and education institution founded in 1962 by Denton A. Cooley, MD. The hospital was the first facility in Texas and the Southwest designated a Magnet® hospital for Nursing Excellence by the American Nurses Credentialing Center, receiving the award five consecutive times. Baylor St. Luke’s also has three community emergency centers offering adult and pediatric care for the Greater Houston area.
Responsible for the delivery of excellence in patient care through assessing, formulating nursing diagnoses and establishing goals, planning and implementing intervention and evaluating patient care outcomes. With the staff nurse's professional practice he/she Responsible for participating in and maintaining quality, cost effectiveness and guest relations. Provide patient care in compliance with hospital policies and procedures and the standards of professional nursing practice as defined by the Board of Nurse Examiners for the State of Texas.
1. Assessment: Does admission and ongoing assessment of patient’s condition. Provides nursing care to meet the patient’s physical, psychological and spiritual needs. Notifies doctor of changes in assessment that require attention.
2. Planning: Designs, directs, evaluates, and documents the plan of care, patient/family teaching and the transition of care plan to include a safe appropriate level of care discharge. Works with other clinical disciplines to meet specialized patient care and discharge needs. Formulates a plan of care and daily goals that takes into consideration the individualized needs of the patient.
3. Implementation: Prepares patients physically, psychologically, and spiritually for treatments, surgeries and diagnostic studies to help reduce patient anxiety. Knows patients' conditions and reports significant changes to Charge Nurse/Team Leader, and/or physician. Implements patient safety initiative and protocols including medication safety practices, physician orders, consult notifications.
4. Evaluation: Reassesses patients at appropriate intervals following interventions. Notifies physician as necessary to modify interventions. Adjusts nursing care to meet patient's emerging and changing needs.
5. Report Skills: Gives and receives report using Bedside Shift Report including family participation. Provides an accurate and comprehensive report to the oncoming shift to help establish continuity of patient care. Receives report from off-going shift and delegates tasks as needed to provide continuity of care according to coworker's experience, abilities and the patient's acuity.
6. Environment & Patient Safety: Maintains patient and work environment to maximize safe working space. Promptly removes all used and soiled equipment, linen, etc. to appropriate location. Incorporates national and organizational goals to improve quality, patient safety and satisfaction. Reports all patient safety and hazard concerns immediately.
7. Supplies: Maintains accurate documentation of charges and supplies used to provide patient care through cost containment measures.
8. Time Management: Clocks in and out appropriately according to policy to ensure work is stated and completed on time. Obtains Director/designees/House Supervisor approval before working overtime, including incremental overtime.
9. Documentation: Consistently documents in the patient and unit records according to written health system standards of care in order to meet legal and quality patient care requirements.
10. License and Competency: Maintains RN license to practice in the State of Texas including multi-state licensure requirements. Takes responsibility for meeting competency requirements. Assists with the orientation of new employees and floated staff as requested and assigned.
11. Professional Responsibility: Maintains all professional licenses, certifications, and annual competencies prior to deadline. Attends mandatory in-services, workshops, town halls, and 75% of all unit meetings per year. Stays up-to-date on communication, including emails and current journals to keep abreast of new developments in the medical and nursing fields.
12. Patient Care: Notifies and escalates concerns to appropriate providers of life-threatening changes and notes physician response. Effectively applies the nursing process within the framework of the organization’s professional model of care, using the nursing process to meet the clinical, psychosocial and spiritual needs of the patient and family following the Catholic Ethical and Religious Directives (ERD).
13. Patient Experience: Creates a caring and compassionate patient focused experience by building healing relationships with patients, families, and colleagues. Performs hourly rounding and bedside shift report, updating the patient communication board and providing service recovery as needed.
• Associates Degree in Nursing or Diploma
• Bachelors in Nursing Preferred*
*Medical Center - “*Bachelor’s degree in Nursing (BSN) within 2 years from date of hire. Current employees grandfathered before July 2020.”
• Licensed to practice as a Registered Nurse in the State of Texas
• BLS with skills demonstration
Not ready to apply, or can't find a relevant opportunity?
Join one of our Talent Communities to learn more about a career at CommonSpirit Health and experience #humankindness.