CommonSpirit Health was formed by the alignment of Catholic Health Initiatives (CHI) and Dignity Health. With more than 700 care sites across the U.S. & from clinics and hospitals to home-based care and virtual care services CommonSpirit is accessible to nearly one out of every four U.S. residents. Our world needs compassion like never before. Our communities need caring and our families need protection. With our combined resources CommonSpirit is committed to building healthy communities advocating for those who are poor and vulnerable and innovating how and where healing can happen both inside our hospitals and out in the community.
The Nurse Manager has 24 hour accountability and responsibility for directing, controlling and supervising the work of the nursing staff on their assigned patient care unit to ensure safe and effective nursing care is being delivered. Ensures the nursing process and all standards of professional nursing practices are being applied. Manages the department’s financial budget requirements to include personnel, supplies, and equipment. Promotes interdisciplinary teamwork.
* Demonstrates excellence in nursing practice by assessing, planning, implementing and evaluating patient care.
* Focus on patient, physician and staff satisfaction, responds appropriately to any concerns and provides follow up.
* Assists CNO with development of unit goals and objectives evaluates achievement of goals with CNO including customer Service (maintains HCAHPS scores at the 90 percentile), Quality (measures national patient safety goals), Finance, and Length of Stay, (LOS) on the Units.
* Maintains accountability for the delivery of quality nursing care on the unit.
* Continually evaluates the Standard of Nursing Practice, participates in Continuous Quality Improvement/Performance Improvement activities and revises standards as appropriate in collaboration with Director.
* Evaluates and monitors the performance of patient care services personnel on the unit and confers appropriately with staff regarding counseling and/or disciplinary action with Human Resources.
* Maintains positive interaction between staff and physicians using appropriate communication skills and keeps supervisor notified of any potential problems or conflicts.
* Assesses the delivery of patients care including age specific needs and identifies problems and any needs for improvement
* Demonstrates knowledge of the principles of growth and development, and range of treatment over the life span necessary to identify, assess and provide care based on each patient’s age specific needs.
* Keeps the Director informed on reportable situations and department needs.
* Serves as clinical resource in technical and professional matters for personnel; responsible for orientation and clinical development of staff.
* Operates within budget parameters; maintains productivity and assumes responsibility.
* Ensures compliance with MHSET policies and procedures and Joint Commission State Regulatory Standards.
* Responsible for monthly unit meeting; safety inspection (crash cart, refrigerator check).
* Provides a model of excellent clinical practice.
* Available as needed to assist with staffing needs to ensure coverage for the department.
* Rotates call with other managers as scheduled
* Quality – completes work with accuracy and thoroughness.
* Productivity – efficiently utilizes time in accomplishing work.
* Customer Focus – Actively practices organizational and departmental service standards.
* Reliability – completes tasks assigned; follows up as needed.
* Availability – meets attendance standards; is punctual; supplements staff areas as required.
* Decision Making – displays sound judgment; works with minimal supervision.
* Initiative – seeks out productive duties in absence of guidance; is a self-starter.
* Adheres to Policy – follows CHI SLMH rules, policies, procedures and guidelines.
* Interpersonal Relationships – cooperates, communicates and works well with others.
* Professionalism – represents CHI SLMH positively in actions and appearance.
* Assesses unit needs based on all patient acuity
* Organizes plans and makes assignments for staff on unit.
* Assists with hiring and orientation of new employees.
* Regularly makes nursing rounds and assesses overall operations of the unit (i.e. timekeeping).
* Ensures that patient assessment is completed, including patient interview, psychosocial and physical assessment.
* Ensures Nursing Process is utilized as framework for delivery of the patient care.
* Implements and directs personnel in the patient’s plan of care.
* Identifies and reports to Performance Improvement and /or Risk Management those issues requiring intensive review and analysis by those disciplines.
* Maintains adequate stock of supplies and equipment for the unit.
* Ensures administrative actions are completed in a timely and professional manner.
* Displays initiative – seeks productive duties/projects; works with minimal supervision.
* Uses equipment and supplies effectively and efficiently.
* Associate degree received from an accredited school of nursing.
* BSN degree required within 3 years of employment from an accredited school of nursing.
* Currently licensed as a Registered Nurse in the State of Texas
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
* Effective Communication
* Critical thinking skills
* Demonstrates excellent interpersonal skills both written and verbal
* Basic Computer skills – familiarity with Windows based software programs
* At least 3 years of clinical and/or management experience in an acute care setting.
Not ready to apply, or can't find a relevant opportunity?
Join one of our Talent Communities to learn more about a career at CommonSpirit Health and experience #humankindness.