Job Summary / Purpose
Supports the professional clinical staff by providing direct patient care and performing studies and tests as assigned. These duties may vary by shift or may be unit-specific. The Student Nurse - Patient Care Technician is responsible for providing care for patients of diverse ages. Works rotating shifts, weekends, and holidays as scheduled.
Essential Key Job Responsibilities
- Delivers assigned patient care and treatment as delegated by an RN or LPN.
- Performs or assists patients with activities including personal hygiene, bathing, ambulation, transporting, range of motion exercises, dressing/undressing, feeding, changing bandages, elimination needs, and emptying drainage devices.
- Responds to patient calls and anticipates patient needs. Assures patient safety and comfort through use of safe patient handling techniques, regular rounding, environmental maintenance, equipment maintenance, and other appropriate safety measures.
- Calculates intake and output (excluding IVs). Measures vital signs. Performs bedside blood glucose testing. Makes entries to patient health records as consistent with scope of job duties and in compliance with company policy.
- Initiates or assists with emergency support measures (i.e., cardiopulmonary resuscitation, protecting patient from injury).
- Performs post-mortem care.
- Sets up equipment and supplies for procedures. Prepares patients and rooms for procedures, admissions, and transfers. Discharges patients from system.
- Observes and reports information regarding any change in physical/mental condition, behavior, or status of the patient to the nurse.
- Collects and labels specimens.
- Sets up, operates, and maintains selected pieces of equipment.