Job Summary / Purpose
The Director of Emergency Services is accountable for all aspects of emergency services at CHI Saint Joseph Health facilities including the Level 1 Trauma Center, patient care quality, program development, strategic planning, performance improvement, operational excellence, facility improvements, patient experience, physician and employee engagement and access. The position requires a strong knowledge base, the ability to develop trusting relationships with all stakeholders, fiscal and human resource management skills, results orientation, and stellar communication skills. Leads change to achieve top results in patient care outcomes, satisfaction, employee engagement, physician satisfaction and growth. Responsible for standards of practice, resource management, program and practice development, fiscal management and 24 hour accountability.
Essential Key Job Responsibilities
- Develops and delivers superior patient care services in two large downtown emergency departments.
- Builds a strong team devoted to the vision of the highest quality and most efficient care. Mentors management team members to fully effective leadership. Delegates to team members effectively.
- Collaborates with the Department Chairs, Medical Directors, Nursing leaders and other health professional colleagues to evaluate current programs and to plan and implement new and enhanced programs as needed.
- Improves patient safety as measured by improved outcomes on clinical/ safety metrics.
- Achieves top quartile patient satisfaction through the design and development of creative care delivery models and effective patient relationship building.
- Directs planning, organizing, standard setting, and evaluation of outcomes pertaining to the Emergency Department’s overall quality/performance improvement program. Monitors and evaluates those aspects that relate to service line and effectiveness.
- Leads strategic planning related to emergency service line development to increase market share and competitive market strength. Evaluates and recommends modifications of service line programs to the executive team. Implements new patient care programs effectively.
- Leads and participates in performance improvement activities; patient safety activities; assures Joint Commission accreditation and other internal and external regulatory standards are maintained. Assures the monitoring and evaluation, with medical staff and employee input, of the quality and appropriateness of patient services provided by the service line through Emergency Services.
- Develops, implements, and monitors the capital and operational budgets in the Emergency Department, promoting optimum allocation and utilization of resources to accomplish defined goals. Supervises expenditures through analysis of reports and management development. Balances quality and cost in making decisions on how resources are utilized. Participates in securing and administering operational and program contracts, cooperative agreements, and grants for Emergency Services.
- Oversees education, supervision and evaluation of staff including nursing, technicians, billing and documentation specialists, and nurse practitioners.
- Responsible and accountable for recruitment and retention plans. Sets standards for selection of new employees, and evaluation of all employees. Demonstrates improvements in employee engagement.
- Establishes performance standards, performance monitoring, training, and innovation for Emergency Services including patient access, referral management, charge capture, and documentation and leveling.
- Integrates teams where possible to ensure comparable standards and increased efficiencies.
- Ensures effective scheduling and staffing guidelines to meet demand. Supervises managerial staff. Enhances staff responsibility and accountability for assessing patient care needs, adapting assignments related to delivery of care, and evaluating different options of providing care on a shift-by-shift basis.
- Collaborates with service excellence team, Performance Excellence, Quality and Risk, marketing staff, finance and executive leaders to ensure top performance of the Emergency departments in our markets on all metrics.
- Serves in a community leadership role representing both Emergency Services Departments to ensure program growth, collaboration with community based programs, police, and EMS/Diversion Council. Partners with colleges as appropriate to ensure effective workforce development.
- Creates a nursing environment marked by the use of evidence based practice, shared governance, support for and creation of staff empowerment structures, innovation and new knowledge generation, utilization of applied nursing research and technology.
- Seamlessly integrates Emergency Department patient care issues into overall organizational processes.
- Ensures shared accountability for professional practice. Works with the Department of Emergency Medicine Chair, Medical Director and Attending Physicians and managers to facilitate, resolve patient care issues.
- Represents Emergency Department strategy to executive leadership.
- Participates in ENA.
- Oversees/ reviews/updates related contracts to ensure compliance, patient care and billing appropriateness.
- Other duties as assigned as assigned by management.