CHI Memorial Hospital, now part of CommonSpirit Health formed between Catholic Health Initiatives (CHI) and Dignity Health, is once again the only hospital in the Chattanooga area to be named a Best Regional Hospital by U.S. News & World Report. We are proud to be the regional referral center of choice providing health care throughout Southeast Tennessee and North Georgia.
Important Note: Nicotine is part of our pre-employment drug screen
Under the direction of the Administrative Laboratory Director and the POC/MHOP
Coordinator or the Laboratory Accessioning Coordinator, the Clinical Support
Technician assists in specimen collection, monitoring of laboratory specimens,
clerical duties, receptionist duties, process specimens going to reference laboratories,
generates computer reports, order entry of outpatient tests, liaison to customers using
Memorial Hospital Laboratory, participates in inventory control and performs
laboratory tests that are wavered by the State of Tennessee.
1. Follows established departmental policies/procedures pertaining to specimen collection, positively identifies
patients, accurately labels specimens while with the patient, and delivers back to the Laboratory.
2. Greets patients courteously and explains the procedure to be performed; consistently obtains blood
specimens properly, rarely misses a vein, routine venipuncture is performed within five minutes
of entering the patient’s room.
3. Maintains confidentiality of patient, department, and hospital related information according to established
4. Complies with all hospital personnel policies and procedures, participates in all required departmental
and hospital education inservices within the required time frame, assumes responsibility for reading
5. Assures the correct specimen and quantity of specimen is submitted for analysis.
6. Participates in an approved competency program that demonstrates knowledge and skill and includes
specimen collection, specimen processing, and care of patients of all ages.
7. Answers the phone by the third ring in a professional manner indentifying yourself and processing the call
appropriately, including taking and delivering messages promptly and accurately, and/or routing each call
8. Process phone inquiries from nursing units, physicians offices, reference laboratories, outside hospital
accounts, etc. with minimum technologist assistance.
9. Processes collection worksheets and outstanding specimen reports to identify unreceived, unidentified, or
missing specimens beyond the expected turnaround times.
10. Processes requests to be cancelled in the hospital information system correctly by talking with the patient’s
nurse and providing reasons for cancellation.
11. Identifies specimen/requisitions discrepancies and resolves issues by calling for specimen or requesting
information as needed.
12. Continually makes best use of time during their shift by assuming responsibility for communicating pertinent
information with co-workers; completion of shift, and coordinating lunch/breaks and daily tasks in a
manner which meets the needs of the laboratory.
13. Demonstrates responsibility and flexibility in maintaining work schedules consistent with the needs of the
14. Assists in training new employees and students; willingly assist those with insufficient knowledge or inability
to complete assigned tasks or duties.
15. Process specimens received both internally and from an outside account, register requisitions with accurate
patient information, order all tests and correct tests, unbag specimens documenting specimens, receiving
and missing or wrong specimens received, label specimen with the correct bar code labels, deliver specimens
to laboratory for testing in a timely manner.
16. Complete Laboratory process improvement for all specimen or requisition discrepancies all clients should be
called to notify them of the discrepancies.
17. Scan requisition into Chartmaxx, as well as QC’ing requisitions in Chartmaxx
18. Perform other duties as requested.
High school education or equivalent required.
Not ready to apply, or can't find a relevant opportunity?
Join one of our Talent Communities to learn more about a career at CommonSpirit Health and experience #humankindness.